[Samba] wiki entry regarding updating self compiled samba addc (4.11.x -> 4.15.0 in my case)

Jürgen Echter j.echter at echter-kuechen-elektro.de
Tue Sep 28 17:13:06 UTC 2021

Hi,

i upgraded from samba 4.11.x compiled with PYTHON=python2 ./configure to samba 4.15.0, i got some libraries left over which insisted on samba 4.11.x and made samba-tool crash.

for example:

libsmb_samba_internal.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
simple_dn.so
simple_ldap_map.so

I read https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#The_Update_Process mentioning special treatment for self compiled samba.

Quote:

If you update Samba by compiling from the sources, you should be aware that code can be removed for various reasons. If code is removed and you compile and install Samba over your existing Samba installation, this can lead to old libs being left on disk, this can lead to errors. For this reason, it is recommended that you replace the entire Samba installation if you compile Samba from sources. This should not affect Samba when updating by using distro packages.

So i had a look at https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source#Upgrading_a_Self-compiled_Samba_Installation and it only says i should use the same configure options, which is not possible in this case.

So my question is what directorys are safe/needed  to delete prior to "make install" the new version?
Or what would you recommend to do before upgrading to a version without python2 support?

Maybe the wiki could be updated too, to make this more clear.

Thanks and have a nice day

Juergen