[Samba] LdapSearch returns a user first instead of the domain base

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 28 16:21:16 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-09-28 at 17:43 +0200, Olivier BILHAUT wrote:
> I Rowland,
> Thanks for quick reply.
>
> An exemple of ldapsearch could be :
> ldapsearch -h PDC.domain.local -x -W -D "administrator at FHM.LOCAL" -b
> "DC=FHM,DC=local"
>
> Returns with Samba :
>
> # extended LDIF
> #
> # LDAPv3
> # base <DC=FHM,DC=local> with scope subtree
> # filter: (objectclass=*)
> # requesting: ALL
> #
>
> # Firstname LASTNAME, ou1, Users, domain.local
> dn: CN=Firstname LASTNAME,OU=ou1,OU=Users,DC=domain,DC=local
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: person
> objectClass: organizationalPerson
> objectClass: user
> CN: Firstname LASTNAME
> [...]
>
> And returns on Microsoft AD :
> # extended LDIF
> #
> # LDAPv3
> # base <DC=FHM,DC=local> with scope subtree
> # filter: (objectclass=*)
> # requesting: ALL
> #
> dn: DC=domain,DC=local
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: domain
> objectClass: domainDNS
> instanceType: 5
> whenCreated: 20120613130158.0
> [...]
>
> Our dev relies on the first element returned to grab the domain.
> Our version is Samba 4.14.3.
> Thanks,
> Olivier B

I see what you mean, I didn't know that windows responded in that way,
there must be something on the windows end to 'sort' the results before
printing them, code that Samba does not have.

As this is Unix, there are numerous other ways of obtaining the
'domain' name (by which, I think you mean the netbios domain name, aka
'workgroup').

Rowland