[Samba] Documentation update (NT4 domain support)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 23 18:24:46 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-09-23 at 14:15 -0400, Luc Lalonde via samba wrote:
> Seems to me that this statement is no longer true:
>
> Additionally, all recent versions continue to support setting up a
> new
> NT4-style PDC. The AD support in Samba 4.0 and later is optional and
> does not replace any of the PDC features. The Samba team understand
> the
> difficulty presented by existing LDAP structures. For that reason,
> there
> is no plan to remove the classic PDC support. Additionally we
> continue
> testing the PDC support in our continuous integration system.
>
> on the wiki:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba

The statement is true, with the exception that we now also state that
this support is deprecated (mostly due to SMB1), and we have added
deprecation markers to some of the parameters.

The code on which the NT4 PDC is built is heavily used by FreeIPA so it
isn't going away any time particularly soon.  However our focus of
development is the AD DC.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions