[Samba] pdbedit dump core

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 23 08:04:43 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-09-22 at 16:04 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-09-22 at 15:26 +0200, Jacques Beigbeder wrote:
> >
> > I had an old Samba 3 installation with /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> > and Windows 7.
> >
> > I want to migrate to Samba 4 + Windows 10.
> > I known how to do with 20 users: Windows 10 authenticate
> > with Samba4, Windows connect drives on D: or E:.
> >
> > I fail to migrate not 20 but 3300 entries from
> > the old /etc/samba/smbpasswd.
> > My idea was:
> > 	3300 times samba-tool user create ...
> > but it fails to restore passwords... for the last 800 users.
>
> I do not think your method is going to work, the 'passwords' that
> pdbedit is producing are hashes of password and 'samba-tool user
> create' requires the plain password, it also doesn't help that AD
> uses
> a different hash.

We use the same hash (this is how upgrades have always worked) for
arcfour-hmac-md5.

I think I understand the OP is trying to import users into Samba AD
that are currently in smbpasswd format, obtained from somewhere
(doesn’t really matter), and the plumbing of sam.ldb into a passdb
module was specifically built to make things like this possible (and
additionally the classicupgrade code path which wraps up many of the
steps).

Most folks who do this kind of thing often directly import LDIF with
the magic controls for this however.

However without a backtrace we can't do very much, but running under
valgrind might be illuminating.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions