[Samba] User and group get the same gid-number?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 23 07:48:13 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-09-23 at 09:05 +0200, Mueller via samba wrote:
> Dear all ,
>
> we have the problem that now and then there is a mangeling and double
> of
> gid-numbers.
> Right now we have a group and a user who have the same gid-number.
> How can I
> change the gid-number manually or how to prevent this case.
> Is there a way to show all gid numbers?

Not sure I understand this, are you saying a user is getting the ID
'10000' and there is also a group with the ID '10000', or are you
saying that a group has the ID '10000' and a user also has a gidNumber
attribute with the value '10000' ?

Either of those is not a problem:

rowland at devstation:~/hash$ getent passwd rowland
rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash

If you mean something different, please explain better.

Rowland