[Samba] id mapping

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Wed Sep 22 19:25:59 UTC 2021

Am 22.09.21 um 18:00 schrieb Patrick Goetz:
> I'm a bit confused about what this branch does; i.e. if it's just to
> facilitate the use of idmap_sss, then why are patches needed?

it doesn't facilitat idmap_sss, it *adds* idmap_sss. It's a development
branch forket from the main samba development branch where I've added
the idmap_sss sources taken from the upstream sssd git repository.

> Aren't people currently using idmap_sss with Samba,

only on Redhat, because there Samba is patched to include idmap_sss.
Other Linuxes ship vanilla upstream Samba that doesn't include idmap_sss.

> or is that only
> because Redhat is patching Samba downstream and it doesn't work at
> all with Ubuntu systems even when sss is installed?
>
> I've read there's a memory leak in 4.11 anyway, and some people are
> recommending the source: http://apt.van-belle.nl/ as an alternative
> to the distro Samba packages available on Debian/Ubuntu.

you will have to build your own packages on Ubuntu from source if you
want to use idmap_sss.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/