[Samba] id mapping

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 22 16:00:34 UTC 2021

Hi -

On 9/20/21 09:51, Ralph Boehme wrote:
> Am 20.09.21 um 16:42 schrieb Patrick Goetz via samba:
>> Now it looks like I'm going to have to rethink the entire system
>> architecture if I want to upgrade the file server from Ubuntu 18.04 to
>> anything newer?  (Ubuntu 20.04 ships 4.11.6).  This is going to be a
>> problem, as all the files are related to the UIDs and GIDs generated
>> by sssd. I'm not sure that's realistic in a very active research
>> environment. The solution is likely going to involve virtualizing all
>> the Windows machines and using IOMMU to provide a PCIe passthrough for
>> whatever GPU's they need for processing.
>
> sorry, tl;dr, at least not fully, but still wanted to mention...
>
>> Any thoughts on this appreciated.
>
> ...you could try to use the idmap sss backend. Unfortunately it's not
> included in upstream Samba and therefor not available on Ubuntu. Otho
> RHEL Samba ships it, if that helps.
>
> Alternatively you could build Samba packages from source and include the
> necessary patches, I have a WIP branch here:
>
> <https://git.samba.org/?p=slow/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/idmap_sss>

I'm a bit confused about what this branch does; i.e. if it's just to
facilitate the use of idmap_sss, then why are patches needed? Aren't
people currently using idmap_sss with Samba, or is that only because
Redhat is patching Samba downstream and it doesn't work at all with
Ubuntu systems even when sss is installed?

I've read there's a memory leak in 4.11 anyway, and some people are
recommending the source: http://apt.van-belle.nl/
as an alternative to the distro Samba packages available on Debian/Ubuntu.