[Samba] Move Samba AD member data to other host

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Tue Sep 21 20:47:22 UTC 2021

Hi,

I have a Samba AD member acting as a file server (idmap ad backend), all
works fine. I'm thinking about moving the data to another host, though.
Ideally, I wouldn't lose any permissions in the process.

I guess this is what I would try:

1. Set up the new host with a freshly installed Samba but with a copy of
the smb.conf of the other server.
2. Copy over all the data into the same directory path.
3. Join the domain

Would this be sufficient? Will this work if I took over the old host name
for the new host? Anything else to worry about?

Thanks for your pointers in advance.

Vic