[Samba] id mapping

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 20 22:33:31 UTC 2021

On 9/19/21 9:02 PM, Nick Couchman via samba wrote:
>> I think you missed that sssd is no longer supported with a Samba
>> fileserver.
>>

> I might be splitting hairs, but this statement isn't true. It _is_ true
> that Samba (smbd) now requires winbindd to function correctly, and that
> smbd won't talk to AD through sssd. It is not true that you cannot run sssd
> concurrently with smbd+winbind. Should you? Probably not. Is it impossible?
> No. How do I know? I have a server running in that configuration today, and
> it works wonderfully.

The use case for this is the one I described; namely if you already have
a considerable investment in sssd-generated UIDs, but also need Samba
file shares.

In general, it's nice for open source projects to be able to
interoperate seamlessly. Given where the market is headed in this case
(thanks, if nothing else, to the power of IBM/Redhat), it would probably
benefit the Samba project to play nicely with sssd.