[Samba] id mapping

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Mon Sep 20 14:51:06 UTC 2021

Am 20.09.21 um 16:42 schrieb Patrick Goetz via samba:
> Now it looks like I'm going to have to rethink the entire system
> architecture if I want to upgrade the file server from Ubuntu 18.04 to
> anything newer?  (Ubuntu 20.04 ships 4.11.6).  This is going to be a
> problem, as all the files are related to the UIDs and GIDs generated by
> sssd. I'm not sure that's realistic in a very active research
> environment. The solution is likely going to involve virtualizing all
> the Windows machines and using IOMMU to provide a PCIe passthrough for
> whatever GPU's they need for processing.

sorry, tl;dr, at least not fully, but still wanted to mention...

> Any thoughts on this appreciated.

...you could try to use the idmap sss backend. Unfortunately it's not
included in upstream Samba and therefor not available on Ubuntu. Otho
RHEL Samba ships it, if that helps.

Alternatively you could build Samba packages from source and include the
necessary patches, I have a WIP branch here:

<https://git.samba.org/?p=slow/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/idmap_sss>

Cheers!
-slow

--