[Samba] Packages necessary to set up a Samba AD controller on Ubuntu?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 17 19:41:54 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-09-17 at 14:13 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
> Thanks very much for the clear and quick response.
>
>   I've been binding Ubuntu linux machines to an existing (MS) AD
> domain
> and have just been using timedatectl for time synchronization, as
> this
> is dead simple to enable and comes installed by default on systemd
> based
> systems. Presumably this should be adequate for a domain controller
> as
> well, so no need for ntp or chrony?

Wrong, you need either ntp or chrony on a DC, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation

> (I understand the frustrations of the Samba team having to deal with
> many different distros, some which don't use systemd.)

The main problem is where the distros put the various parts of Samba,
hence why the wiki is based around a self compiled Samba in
/usr/local/samba. You just have to translate them to where your distro
puts them.

Rowland