[Samba] Packages necessary to set up a Samba AD controller on Ubuntu?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 17 18:46:06 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-09-17 at 13:02 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I'm setting up a Samba AD controller for the first time, and have
> been
> looking over available documentation and Internet HOWTOs. I'm a bit
> confused about what packages need to be installed for Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> According to the Samba Wiki, I need:
>
>   acl attr samba samba-dsdb-modules samba-vfs-modules winbind
> libpam-winbind libnss-winbind  libpam-krb5 krb5-config krb5-user

You missed dnsutils and ntp or chrony

The list is the minimum packages required to setup a Unix domain member
and, as it points out, you do not need all of them for a DC.

> with the cryptic note:
> Note: For a DC you do not need libpam-winbind libnss-winbind
> libpam-krb5, unless you require AD users  to login
>
> I think this means I only need these packages if I plan to have AD
> users
> log in directly to the AD server? I don't, why would anyone want
> this?

You are correct, they are only required if you want to use a DC as a
fileserver, but this does happen.

> This leaves:
>
>    acl attr samba samba-dsdb-modules samba-vfs-modules winbind
> krb5-config krb5-user
>
> I'm pretty sure acl and attr are installed by default on Ubuntu
> 20.04
> server.

They possibly are, but there would only be complaints if they were not
listed and they were not installed.

> However, my question has to do with samba-dsdb-modules and
> samba-vfs-modules packages.
>
> None of the online howto's I've looked at install these packages.
> For
> example, this seems to be the typical minimal package list:
>
>    samba krb5-user krb5-config winbind smbclient
>
> (krb5-config is a dependency of krb5-user and could be omitted)

They may be dependencies of other packages, but you need them and it
doesn't hurt to list them in the apt list.

> What exactly are they needed for?

Your DC will not work without them, 'vfs_acl_xattr' is part of samba-
vfs-modules and is required to allow the use of acl's and attrs in
shares.

Rowland