[Samba] Possible memory leak in

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Sep 12 20:10:24 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2021-09-12 at 12:48 -0700, Matt Oursbourn wrote:
> My setup comes from a complete novice approach to linux and network
> sharing as I have only ever used windows.
>
> This is my process for getting the computers up and running so I can
> plot chia.  This is the complete process from a computer with no OS
> to plotting chia and getting the large samba process in memory.
> Install some form of linux (ubuntu, mint, pop, ect.) I have only been
> using linux for a month so I have been exploring.
> do apt update, apt upgrade
> install samba
> copy these lines into smbd.comf
> client min protocol = NT1
> server min protocol = NT1
> usershare owner only = false
> force user = moursbourn  (just because every computer I have is
> logged into this username, and it stopped the permission issues I was
> having)

In my opinion, you need to fix the permissions rather than sticking an
extremely large bandage on it.

> if the computer is the server
> create /mnt/storage
> sudo chmod -R 777 /mnt/storage
> right click on the storage folder in the UI and share it from there.

Ah, that explains why you do not any shares in smb.conf, you also may
not be using Samba at all.

> Install duf, htop, ssh, iftop
> Recently, I have added mergerfs onto the server as well.
> on the client (plotter)
> sudo mkdir /mnt/chiaPlots
> sudo chmod -R 777 /mnt/chiaPlots
> sudo mount -t cifs -o
> username=moursbourn,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
> //192.168.1.6/storage /mnt/chaiPlots

Yes, it looks more and more like you are not using Samba.

> install mad max chia plotter and start plotting to /mnt/chiaPlots
> What I have noticed from looking at the Processes tab in System

>From my understanding about crypto currency (which is very limited),
doesn't it cost more to mine the currency than what is returned ?
It is, however, your computer.

Rowland