[Samba] Permission Denied V2

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Sep 11 12:24:05 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2021-09-11 at 11:33 +0000, Thomas Rieff wrote:
> Rowland,
> Thanks for the reply...but no luck...

I suggested those lines because of this line:

wins support = yes

That line is only useful if you are using SMBv1 and the version of
Samba provided by Ubuntu 20.04 (4.13.3) has SMBv1 turned off by
default.

> I always appreciate your advice
> Still seems to be some sort of permission issue, but don't know which
> one???
> One thing different this time is placing the samba folder under the
> media folder...read
> somewhere that this was the optimum spot??? Maybe not???

You can place your shares anywhere you like, however, '/media' is
usually meant for the system to mount things like CD's on. I would use
'/srv', but you must ensure that the directory permissions allow the
Samba users access.

> Also, I am trying Lsyncd that is syncing these folders to another
> machine as a server backup system.
> I have quite a number of samba servers running...at the office, home
> and the cabin.
> Any more thoughts?

Have you created the Unix users as Samba users ?
Do these users have the required permissions on the share ? You can set
whatever permissions you like in the share, but if the underlying
permissions do not allow access, then the user will not get access.

Rowland