[Samba] `samba-tool user create --must-change-at-next-login my_user` doesn't appear to work on W10

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Sun Oct 31 13:23:58 UTC 2021

Thanks, Roland. I always appreciate your help. I tried it both ways
(with option before and after the new user name). Same outcome.

But I figured out what was going wrong. The command line order of the
option doesn't matter.  I've was creating users like this:

  # samba-tool user create dilbert --must-change-at-next-login
  # samba-tool user setexpiry dilbert --noexpiry

Setting the password expiration to no expiration seems to interfere with
the reset password requirement.

If I just create a user like this:

  # samba-tool user create dolbert --must-change-at-next-login
or
  # samba-tool user create --must-change-at-next-login dulbert

Then W10 demands a password change before allowing the user to log in.

On the one hand I can see why this might work this way, but it's not
logically correct. Requiring a change of password on first login is
entirely independent of whether passwords should expire or not.