[Samba] Transfer FSMO roles to a new DC

Rommel Rodriguez Toirac rommelrt at nauta.cu
Fri Oct 29 17:57:15 UTC 2021

El 29 de octubre de 2021 13:39:02 GMT-04:00, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> escribió:
>On Fri, 2021-10-29 at 13:23 -0400, Rommel Rodriguez Toirac via samba
>wrote:
>> El 29 de octubre de 2021 13:09:29 GMT-04:00, Rowland Penny via samba
>> <samba at lists.samba.org> escribió:
>> > On Fri, 2021-10-29 at 12:36 -0400, Rommel Rodriguez Toirac via
>> > samba

>> > Well, that is weird, first thought was faulty replication, but it
>> > has
>> > replicated to the old DC and isn't showing on the new DC.
>> >
>> > I have checked on my DC's and the rid FSMO transferred OK. I would
>> > check if the FSMO roles are still showing as being on two DC's (if
>> > you
>> > have more than two DC's, check those as well). If they are, try
>> > transferring them back and see what happens. If they do transfer
>> > back,
>> > you need to examine gtmad2 to see if there is anything wrong with
>> > that.
>> >
>> > Rowland
>> >

>>  Thanks Rowland to write me back.
>>
>>  The third DC [hostname gtmad] also sees gtmad1 as the owner of the
>> FSMO roles.
>>
>> [root at gtmad ~]# samba-tool fsmo show
>> ldb_wrap open of secrets.ldb
>> SchemaMasterRole has no current owner
>> InfrastructureMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
>> Settings,CN=GTMAD1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-
>> Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=gtm,DC=onat,DC=gob,DC=cu
>> RidAllocationMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
>> Settings,CN=GTMAD1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-
>> Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=gtm,DC=onat,DC=gob,DC=cu
>> PdcEmulationMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
>> Settings,CN=GTMAD1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-
>> Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=gtm,DC=onat,DC=gob,DC=cu
>> DomainNamingMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
>> Settings,CN=GTMAD1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-
>> Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=gtm,DC=onat,DC=gob,DC=cu
>> DomainDnsZonesMasterRole has no current owner
>> ForestDnsZonesMasterRole has no current owner
>> [root at gtmad ~]#
>
>I would try transferring the roles back to the original DC, then check
>the new DC
>

>>  I have to check gtmad2 (the new Domain Controller added to domain).
>> For Eixample? what to check?
>
>The usual dns things, /etc/hostname, etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf
>You should also check the database with samba-tool.
>
>If you cannot find anything wrong, I would demote the new DC and start
>again.
>
>Rowland

root at gtmad2:~# cat /etc/hostname
gtmad2
root at gtmad2:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
::1             localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1         ip6-allnodes
ff02::2         ip6-allrouters
# --- BEGIN PVE ---
192.168.41.8 gtmad2.gtm.onat.gob.cu gtmad2
# --- END PVE ---
root at gtmad2:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# --- BEGIN PVE ---
search gtm.onat.gob.cu
nameserver 192.168.41.18

this 192.168.41.18 is the IP of the gtmad1, the one from where were transfered the FSMO roles

I ran:

root at gtmad2:~# samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix
Checking 4212 objects
NOTE: old (due to rename or delete) DN string component for lastKnownParent in object CN=NTDS Settings\0ADEL:07ab56c3-5d91-4ea6-bc34-2eeb1552e4bb,CN=GTMAD2\0ADEL:06b75e05-8ebe-4d41-ba3b-44a475426af2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=gtm,DC=onat,DC=gob,DC=cu - CN=GTMAD2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=gtm,DC=onat,DC=gob,DC=cu
Change DN to <GUID=06b75e05-8ebe-4d41-ba3b-44a475426af2>;CN=GTMAD2\0ADEL:06b75e05-8ebe-4d41-ba3b-44a475426af2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=gtm,DC=onat,DC=gob,DC=cu? [y/N/all/none] y
Fixed old DN string on attribute lastKnownParent
Checked 4212 objects (0 errors)

root at gtmad2:~# samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs
Checking 4212 objects
Checked 4212 objects (0 errors)

but no solve the situation

--