[Samba] RSAT not working any more?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 29 15:42:23 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-10-29 at 17:57 +0300, Thomas Kamalakis via samba wrote:
> Dear all
>
>   I am having trouble administering Samba DC using RSAT on a Windows
> 10
> machine.

Unfortunately RSAT on the latest Windows 10 needs a web server that
Samba does not have.

>   Installation info:
>   Samba version: 4.14.9 (installed fresh from source on an Ubuntu
> 20.04).
>   Windows 10 client: Windows 10 Pro (21H1 - OS build 19043.1288)
>   RSAT server manager: Build number 10.0.19041.1 / 12-6-2019
>
>   Server manager identifies the server running the "Samba" operating
> system
> and then reports "Error - Cannot manage the operating system of the
> target
> computer"
>
>   The Windows 10 client has successfully joined the domain and I am
> logged
> in as Administrator at DOMAIN.EXAMPLE.COM without any problems.
>
>   DNS is working on the DC, and I am correctly resolving the LDAP and
> kerberos services as well as the dc name dc1.domain.example.com
>
>   I've also tried the Ubuntu 20.04 samba version (4.11.6) on a clean
> install and behavior is the same. Clean installing Samba 4.15 was
> worse,
> Administrator could not login, it seems this is a widespread problem
> for
> the 4.15, this is why I ended up building the 4.14.9

Yes, there is known problem with 4.15.0, the upcoming 4.15.1 will fix
this.

>   Does any one have any suggestions? I remember RSAT working fine
> with
> earlier Windows and Samba versions.

Not at the moment, there are numerous programs out there, but nothing
exactly like RSAT, the nearest is a package that Altlinux is working
on.

Rowland