[Samba] domain-free multi-user use cases

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 28 15:36:08 UTC 2021

On 10/28/21 02:41, Eric Levy via samba wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-10-27 at 10:39 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
>> With all due respect, I think you're confused about how these things
>> must work, based on practical considerations. I urge you to go back
>> and
>> re-read my first post in this thread carefully.  The issue is
>> explained
>> there.
>>
>> To reiterate an example I provided there (bitcoin), you either have
>> central authority which is the final arbiter of deciding if someone
>> requesting a resource is actually the user they say they are, or you
>> don't.  If you don't have a central authority, then there must be
>> some
>> other mechanism for determining this and those quickly become onerous
>> or
>> complicated.  If you don't care about security, then problem solved:
>> just set file permissions to 777 and share the filesystem to anyone
>> who
>> asks for it. This would generally not be acceptable in a business
>> context, but I know some smaller organizations who essentially have
>> their filesystem share configured this way: everyone is a fully
>> trusted
>> user.
>
> Would you please be specific about what leads you to think I am
> confused? What have I written that is inaccurate?
>
> A basic case of the proposed feature would be that the privileged user
> of a client system (e.g. root) creates a remote mount using privileged
> credentials on a remote system. This operation is currently supported,
> but ownership information is not represented on the client mount. The
> difference, representing the proposed support for multiuser, is that
> the client would expose the true file owners in its local view. Doing
> so requires a user mapping, which might be as simple as string matching
> of names.

AFAIK, you can already do this with NFSv4 using nfsidmap and rpc.idmapd,
with user mappings stored in /etc/idmap.conf.  I say AFAIK because I've
never tried to use this feature and typically just make sure my users
have the same uid on all systems (say by using a directory <:) ).

This doesn't cover Windows clients (is there still even an NFS
implementation for Windows?) but I recall you saying you have an all
linux environment.

-