[Samba] domain-free multi-user use cases

Eric Levy contact at ericlevy.name
Tue Oct 26 12:15:41 UTC 2021

> Most people would use NFS in similar situations. They would restrict
> the
> NFS to be only mounted (or even only accessible) by clients that
> honour
> the requirement for Password auth. NFS can also support ACLs to make
> this more fine grained.

I'm not aware this is possible, and I believe even if it is possible in
general, it is not supported by my NAS appliance. However, I would like
to review any references on the subject if you have any.

> I don't speak for the samba team. I just think your use case is just
> small to really relevant.
>
> Or do others think different here?

I am happy to learn the views of the team. My assumption has been that
the use case would have been very small when the assumptions and
decisions were originally created many decades ago, but that it is
consistently expanding through the ongoing evolution of technology, for
example, through SMB, SOHO, IoT, and so. Thus, as I have argued, it is
now sensible to consider including support in future development.