[Samba] domain-free multi-user use cases

cn at brain-biotech.de cn at brain-biotech.de
Tue Oct 26 11:23:21 UTC 2021

Am 26.10.21 um 13:00 schrieb Eric Levy via samba:

> Such observations may be, I hope, useful toward putting aside orthodox
> perception, and framing the matter through broader clarity, I hope to
> show that a wish to create a multiuser mount without a domain
> controller is in principle rather sensible, and not, in the most
> general case, diminished by many of the common objections.

As I mentioned earlier most people in your situation and setup would opt
for NFS with its limitations. Also as I said pam_mount would in the end
result do what you want. So I think it very unlikely that this would be
implemented in Samba.

> To close on a more concrete remark, NFS currently has limitations, as
> stated previously, of its own, including the insistence on matching
> numeric user identifiers, and lack of support for password
> authentication. Features useful for Samba might be considered
> separately from those available in NFS.

Most people would use NFS in similar situations. They would restrict the
NFS to be only mounted (or even only accessible) by clients that honour
the requirement for Password auth. NFS can also support ACLs to make
this more fine grained.

I don't speak for the samba team. I just think your use case is just to
small to really relevant.

Or do others think different here?

Regards

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Naumer
Vice President

BRAIN Biotech AG
Darmstaedter Str. 34-36, D-64673 Zwingenberg
e-mail cn at brain-biotech.com, homepage www.brain-biotech.com
phone +49-6251-9331-30 / fax +49-6251-9331-11

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Zwingenberg/Bergstrasse
Registergericht AG Darmstadt, HRB 24758
Vorstand: Adriaan Moelker (Vorstandsvorsitzender),
Lukas Linnig
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Georg Kellinghusen