[Samba] Domain member?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Oct 25 20:28:22 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-10-25 at 22:06 +0200, Joachim Lindenberg via samba wrote:
> > How did you join the domain ?
> I joined using net ads join -U Joachim (which happens to be domain
> admin). No error (after fixing a hostname setup issue).

OK.

> > The line above is only used on a DC
> I excerpted this from an existing DC. Removed it. No change.
> Is there a consistency check I can run?

Yes, but you probably don't need it (more on this later)

> > Are you using sssd ?
> I don´t (yet) know what sssd is about.

As this is Ubuntu, you may have it installed.
You can check with:
sudo dpkg -l winbind

The last line will look like this if it isn't installed:

un  sssd           <none>       <none>       (no description available)

> > Have you installed winbind ?
> I followed
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Distribution-specific_Package_Installation#Ubuntu
> , and yes, winbind is installed.
>
> > You have only stopped Samba using nmbd, you need to stop it and
> > then disable it.
> I didn´t enable it at all. Some magic? If smb.conf asks for no
> netbios, shouldn´t the process exit?

Debian based distros start packages when they are installed, so no
magic is involved.

I suggest you go and read this:

and one of these:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_rid
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_autorid

You need to add 'idmap config' lines to your smb.conf (if you don't
know what they are, you will once you have read the above wiki pages).
You also need to find out why 'systemctl start winbind' doesn't work.

Rowland