[Samba] OpenSSH with Kerberos?

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Mon Oct 25 17:01:35 UTC 2021

Hello Rowland, Louis,
thanks for your support!

I do have ssh_config as suggested, except for PasswordAuthentication no - I don´t want to lock out myself for now, and the debug output doesn´t suggest that is the culprit.
You didn´t include an sshd_config unless it is supposed to be empty. Nevertheless got it to work. Actually krb5.conf was the culprit on that DC. I now can login locally and from a Windows client. Not yet sure it was just the recommended mapping or some other garbage in it.

Then I tried to reproduce the same on another DC, as I went through some more debugging before, and got it to work after:
Modifications to /etc/samba/smb.conf  and /etc/security/pam_winbind.conf  as in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/OpenSSH_Single_sign-on
Modifications to /etc/nsswitch.conf as https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Winbindd_on_a_Samba_AD_DC
Modifications due to https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Authenticating_Domain_Users_Using_PAM.

Afai can tell, the  ln -s /var/lib/samba/private/secrets.keytab krb5.keytab is required, but don´t know why.

Not all of them might be relevant though. One finding suggested by you I can confirm: one cannot login from a DC to another DC even though one can login locally on a DC using SSH - looking forward to get to know why that doesn´t work.
I didn´t yet try on a domain member, need to install one first (actually install finished, conf and test not yet done).
Thanks, Joachim