[Samba] Samba AD DC for Debian

Rob Campbell robcampbell08105 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 03:13:54 UTC 2021

I am following the instructions using a fresh 11.1 Debian vm and running
Samba packages is failing.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Package_Dependencies_Required_to_Build_Samba#Debian_.2F_Ubuntu
[Sat Oct 23 13:58:36] [root at DSDC1~$] apt-get install acl attr autoconf
bind9utils bison build-essential \
  debhelper dnsutils docbook-xml docbook-xsl flex gdb libjansson-dev
krb5-user \
  libacl1-dev libaio-dev libarchive-dev libattr1-dev libblkid-dev
libbsd-dev \
  libcap-dev libcups2-dev libgnutls28-dev libgpgme-dev libjson-perl \
  libldap2-dev libncurses5-dev libpam0g-dev libparse-yapp-perl \
  libpopt-dev libreadline-dev nettle-dev perl perl-modules pkg-config \
  python-all-dev python-crypto python-dbg python-dev python-dnspython \
  python3-dnspython python-gpgme python3-gpgme python-markdown
python3-markdown \
  python3-dev xsltproc zlib1g-dev liblmdb-dev lmdb-utils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'perl-modules-5.32' instead of 'perl-modules'
Note, selecting 'python-dev-is-python2' instead of 'python-dev'
Package python3-gpgme is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source

Package python-dbg is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  python2-dbg

Package python-markdown is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  python3-markdown

E: Unable to locate package python-crypto
E: Package 'python-dbg' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package python-dnspython
E: Unable to locate package python-gpgme
E: Package 'python3-gpgme' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'python-markdown' has no installation candidate

After cleaning that up to reflect:
apt-get install acl attr autoconf bind9utils bison build-essential
debhelper dnsutils docbook-xml docbook-xsl flex gdb libjansson-dev
krb5-user   libacl1-dev libaio-dev libarchive-dev libattr1-dev libblkid-dev
libbsd-dev   libcap-dev libcups2-dev libgnutls28-dev libgpgme-dev
libjson-perl   libldap2-dev libncurses5-dev libpam0g-dev libparse-yapp-perl
  libpopt-dev libreadline-dev nettle-dev perl perl-modules pkg-config
python-all-dev python2-dbg python-dev python3-dnspython python3-markdown
python3-dev xsltproc zlib1g-dev liblmdb-dev lmdb-utils

I get this:

[Sat Oct 23 21:46:03] [root at DSDC1~$] samba-tool domain provision
-bash: samba-tool: command not found

The different samba packages needed aren't included in that list of
dependencies.  I guess because they are detailing the packages that are
needed to work with Samba but the proper Samba packages aren't in the Wiki
(or did I miss it?).  I'm guessing I need to install samba and smbclient.

When I get to the part that you're supposed to start samba, I had to first
start smbd and then samba else samba wouldn't start.

I'm unable to ssh user at localhost or user at hostname

Also, setting up the member, the required packages aren't listed.  I don't