[Samba] domain-free multi-user use cases

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Oct 23 05:07:00 UTC 2021

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 12:03:18AM -0400, Eric Levy via samba wrote:

>In my earlier conversation in this group, I described my needs as
>follows:
>
>   What I want is multiple users on the client accessing the same mount
>   but with different permissions enforced for each. I want the
>   permissions to reflect the permissions for the corresponding users
>   on the NAS.
>
>   It seems by now it has been made clear that it is impossible to
>   achieve this result without some kind of domain server...

Isn't that the bog-standard standalone file server case,
with user names on the client mapped into the same user
names on the server ?

The clients can easily do multi-user mounts, both Windows
and Linux.

I guess I don't understand exactly what you are asking
for here.

In your scenario, where are the "users" defined ? How
does a client have multiple users logged in ? Are
these local users defined on the client ?