[Samba] Printserver after latest MS updates

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Fri Oct 22 20:09:00 UTC 2021

On Wed, 20 Oct 2021, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:

> Hmm, so your DNS is same as mine.
>
> You see these messages in the logs and i dont.
> Uh.. Then im bit out of options.
> I have these patches also installed here..
>
> If i find/think of something i'll post it.
>
> So far,
>
> Greetz,
>
> Louis

FWIW, I found the following useful to fix the print spooler problem
for me. Admittedly my use case for this was an all windows network
but adding the reg keys listed in the article below to the client got network
printing working again (I do not use network printing on my samba networks).

https://admx.help/?Category=Windows_10_2016&Policy=Microsoft.Policies.Printing::PackagePointAndPrintServerList_Win7

After adding the reg keys to the clients you have to reboot and reinstall
the printer. I also found that I had to wait a few minutes after the reboot to
be able to reinstall the printer. \\printserver-name\printer_name is enough to
get the printer reinstalled.

In chasing this on several different networks this really smells like a
permission problem.

Of course, the above assumes everything else is setup properly but if it
worked before the updates most likely things are setup correctly.

Also bleeping computer has some other references to this chronic problem @
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/new-windows-10-kb5006670-update-breaks-network-printing/

HTH,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org