[Samba] DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Oct 17 08:37:53 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2021-10-17 at 02:18 +0200, peter knezel wrote:
> Hello Rowland,
>
> well, my /etc/hosts has something like:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> ip_2nd_server 2ndserver_name.xxxLAB.lab name_2ndserver
> ip_adserver1 adserver1_name.MYDOMAIN.xxxLAB.lab name_adserver1
> ip_adserver2 adserver2_name.MYDOMAIN.xxxLAB.lab name_adserver2

What is in /etc/hosts depends on whether the host gets its dns
information via dhcp or if it has a fixed IP.

If it gets its info via dhcp, it should only contain:

127.0.0.1 localhost

If it has a fixed IP, it should only contain:

127.0.0.1 localhost
host_ip hostname.domain.tld hostname

Everything else should come from dns.

Rowland