[Samba] Unable to join domain

Rob Campbell robcampbell08105 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 23:00:10 UTC 2021

> on fedora, I think it is samba-winbind-clients
This was already installed.

> at one time 'authselect select winbind' would do this, but times change.
authselect select winbind
[error] [/etc/authselect/system-auth] has unexpected content!
[error] [/etc/authselect/nsswitch.conf] has unexpected content!
[error] Unexpected changes to the configuration were detected.
[error] Refusing to activate profile unless those changes are removed or
overwrite is requested.

Some unexpected changes to the configuration were detected.
Use --force parameter if you want to overwrite these changes.

authselect select winbind --force
[error] [/etc/authselect/system-auth] has unexpected content!
[error] [/etc/authselect/nsswitch.conf] has unexpected content!
Backup stored at /var/lib/authselect/backups/2021-10-13-22-52-26.HHhaHu
Profile "winbind" was selected.
The following nsswitch maps are overwritten by the profile:
- passwd
- group

Make sure that winbind service is configured and enabled. See winbind
documentation for more information.

I made backups but I was told to be sure passwd and group was there and had
the value of files winbind

I'm not running winbind service, I'm running the binary and I'm guessing
that's causing problems.

> Because he wants to use fedora and was trying to use that distro for a DC.
I am using Debian as my DC and Fedora is just a joining member that I'm
trying to use as a fileserver

In all things, Be Intentional.