[Samba] Problem after update version 4.15.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 12 21:47:06 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-10-12 at 21:24 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-10-12 at 22:13 +0200, Ingo Asche wrote:
> > Hi Rowland,
> >
> > I asked Andrew the same, here's what he answered:
> >
> > - Yes, you start from 4.14.0rc1 as this is the branch point where
> > master
> > - split into 4.14 (working) and what would eventually be 4.15.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ingo
> >

> Well, no one has complained about 4.14.x version, the problem only
> seems to exist on 4.15.0 (and I cannot get the problem to not work
> for
> myself), so surely it is something in 4.15.0. I await Andrew
> commenting
> on this. If you do have to start from 4.14.0rc1, then you are going
> be at it for sometime.

G'Day Rowland,

A bisect does a binary search, so even across large version gaps it the
increased workload in testing is minimal.  That is why we use that
approach, rather than (say) linearly selecting all commits.

It is exceedingly unlikely the issue was introduced after 4.15.0rc1, so
we must start before that.  The correct spot to start is 4.14.0rc1 as
discussed, master development that became 4.15 started from that point.

Somewhere between 4.15/master (they are so alike it doesn't change
much) this regressed, and we will find it.  I've got an idea for one
thing it might be but only testing changes speculation into
verification.

Also manual bisect testing is something our users can do that I don't
have the time to handle right now, so it is incredibly valuable.

Confirming that 4.14.0rc1 works *in the test being done as the
validation* is important, as otherwise we could be chasing the wrong
thing as the decision basis.

I trust this clarifies,

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions