[Samba] Unable to join domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 12 15:18:55 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-10-12 at 09:42 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:

> On 10/12/21 04:27, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Tue, 2021-10-12 at 11:14 +0200, L.P.H. van Belle via samba
> > wrote:
> > > Ow yes, this can work fine.
> > >
> > > AD-DC, time is given to the pc's over the AD. (not NTP
> > > directly)..
> > > sure you can configure that, but i didnt.
> > >
> > > Members, systemd-timedated used the AD-DC its NTP to sync.
> > > Standalones ( i have 1, ) same.
> > >
> > > The members dont need SNTP to sync time, only the AD-DC <=>
> > > Windows
> > > And you can even overrule that, but im not doing that.
> > >
> > > timedatectl show-timesync
> > > SystemNTPServers="192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2"
> > >

> > I repeat, your clients are not using the DC's directly for time,
> > you
> > might be okay with this, but I am not, but hey, they are your
> > clients :
> > -)
> >

> I'm not sure why this matters if the drift is less than the
> allowable
> kerberos time difference.

It is this: People can and will do things their own way. I cannot know
or remember how they do things their way, I have a bad enough time
remembering the recommended way :-)

Just because I say don't do it that way, doesn't mean it will
definitely not work (it possibly will), but it is just not the Samba
recommended way of doing things and I cannot test everything (so I know
it does work, or not). If anyone feels that something does work and can
prove it, then register for the wiki and edit it to add that
information.

Rowland