[Samba] Unable to join domain

Rob Campbell robcampbell08105 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 22:01:40 UTC 2021

Maybe I'm confused about the word server.  What constitutes a server that
makes it impossible for it to join a domain?  fsdc01 was just a samba file
server but if I remove the samba configuration, can't I then join it to the
domain (after following the wiki steps of adding a member)?

What is throwing me off is that it seems to require a subdomain or at
least, that is how the wiki configuration is designed.  This has to be done
with a subdomain?  I can't skip the subdomain the subdomain?  For better
clarity I could start over and have my subdomain as internal if I need one
so it would be internal.test-server.lan and then have all the hostnames but
I was hoping to have root domain and hostnames only and I can see now
that due to my naming schema, I confused everyone.  My bad.  I did choose
dc01 because I figured everything would attach to it unless I built a dc02
which I thought about doing further down the line just for understanding
how things work.

I'll start over with my Debian vm being DC01.INTERNAL.TEST-SERVER.LAN
(hostname dc01 and then my Fedora file server can be
FS01.INTERNAL.TEST-SERVER.LAN.

In all things, Be Intentional.