[Samba] Unable to join domain

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 18:29:25 UTC 2021

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 2:19 PM Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > # systemctl start smbd nmbd winbind
> > Failed to start smbd.service: Unit smbd.service is masked.
> > Failed to start nmbd.service: Unit nmbd.service is masked.
> > Failed to start winbind.service: Unit winbind.service is masked.
>
> Unmask 'winbind', but you shouldn't start Samba until you have joined
> the domain.

I wonder why these are masked. On a stock Debian install, if you are
installing a domain controller (not a member), then you should:

    systemctl stop smbd nmbd winbind
    systemctl disable smbd nmbd winbind
    systemctl mask smbd nmbd winbind
    systemctl unmask samba-ad-dc
    systemctl enable samba-ad-dc

Did the OP follow directions for a DC?

I'm seeing names like "FSDC" which sounds like OP is confused.