[Samba] Unable to join domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Oct 11 06:38:31 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2021-10-10 at 23:15 -0400, Rob Campbell wrote:
> Made a lot of progress but:
> net ads join -U administrator
> Enter administrator's password:
> Using short domain name -- DC01
> Joined 'FSDC02' to dns domain 'dc01.test-server.lan'
> DNS Update for fsdc02.test-server.lan failed: ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED
> DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
>
> Does this mean there is a problem somewhere?

Yes, most probably /etc/hosts isn't set up correctly. It should be have
a line like this:

10.0.0.10 fsdc02.test-server.lan fsdc02

And nothing else should point to fsdc02.test-server.lan

However, above it says your dns domain is 'dc01.test-server.lan' and

'test-server.lan' != 'dc01.test-server.lan'

> The first DC is 10.0.0.13 dc01.test-server.lan

But now you seem to be saying that 'dc01.test-server.lan' is the FQDN
of your DC.

> This server is 10.0.0.10
>
> The two guides I used are
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller
> for 10.0.0.13 and
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member
> for 10.0.0.10.  I'm stuck on 'net ads join -U administrator' on http
> s://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member for
> 10.0.0.10

You seem to have joined the Unix domain member, you just haven't
updated its dns record in AD.

> systemctl start smbd nmbd winbindd
> Failed to start smbd.service: Unit smbd.service is masked.
> Failed to start nmbd.service: Unit nmbd.service is masked.
> Failed to start winbindd.service: Unit winbindd.service not found.

Remove the final 'd' from 'winbindd', the binary is called winbindd,
but the service name is 'winbind'.

> wbinfo --ping-dc
> could not obtain winbind interface details:
> WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE
> could not obtain winbind domain name!
> checking the NETLOGON for domain[] dc connection to "" failed
> failed to call wbcPingDc: WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE

Well, it wouldn't work, winbind hasn't started :-)

Rowland