[Samba] Unable to join domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 8 19:02:03 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-10-08 at 14:45 -0400, Rob Campbell wrote:
> > That looks okay, apart from the '.local' TLD, this is no longer
> recommended.
> >>
> >> # nslookup dc1.test-server.lan
>
> > Hang on, it is using '.local' above, which is it ?
>
> Good catch.  It should've been .lan
>
> How do you start samba on boot with Debian?  Everything I see says to
> use systemctl start smbd but that always fails.  In the initial wiki
> it said to start Samba with 'samba'.  This does start but I rebooted
> that server so Samba wasn't running.  How do you set Samba to start
> on boot?  On other systems I use systemctl enable --now samba but
> there is no samba service on Debian it appears and starting the smbd
> and nmbd services always fail.

It depends on how you are running Samba. If you are running Samba as an
AD DC, then it is 'systemctl start samba-ad-dc', which will start the
samba binary, which will then start smbd and winbind. If you are
running Samba as a Unix domain member, it would be 'systemctl start
winbind smbd nmbd', though you don't need to start nmbd if you are not
using SMBv1

Rowland