[Samba] Unable to demoting Samba AD DC (Current DC is still the owner of 2 roles)

Anderson Hoffmann do Carmo anderson.hoffmann at gsurfnet.com
Wed Oct 6 17:27:03 UTC 2021

Hello friends

I have a samba ad/dc running on ubuntu server 20.04 (samba version 4.11.6)
I added a Server 2008r2 as the second domain controller
Now I'm trying to demote samba and the error below is occurring:

#samba-tool domain demote -Uadministrator
ERROR: Current DC is still the owner of 2 role(s), use the role command to
transfer roles to another DC

The command 'samba-tool fsmo show' still displays the roles below, how
should I proceed?

DomainDnsZonesMasterRoles
ForestDnsZonesMasterRoles

On Server 2008r2 I already ran the steps, without success
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/identity/view-transfer-fsmo-roles

Anderson Hoffmann