[Samba] DNS issues when setting up AD

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Oct 2 07:36:02 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2021-10-02 at 01:50 -0400, Rob Campbell via samba wrote:
> I'm just trying to set up a small domain at home with some vms.  I
> have my
> main server doing all the work.  I have samba set up and I am able to
> access it via cockpit and I can access the ldap schema and I've added
> contacts, users and ous but I can't get my vm to join the domain.

It sounds like you have set up Samba as an AD DC, if so, then it is
already joined to the domain through the provision and you join
computers (or VM's) to it.

>   It seems
> that all my issues are resolving around dns but I can't get it
> working.  I
> can't run dnsmasq while samba is running because they both run on
> port 53.

You cannot run another dns server on an AD DC (unless it is Bind9 using
bind_dlz), the AD DC dns server is authoritative for the AD dns domain.

> What do I do?  Samba and dns need to be on the same server.

They are, just not the dns server you want to use.

> $ sudo realm join dc01.test.local -U administrator
> realm: No such realm found

No, that isn't how you join a DC.

> $ sudo realm join 10.0.0.10 -U administrator
> Password for administrator:
> See: journalctl REALMD_OPERATION=r924632.1213569
> realm: Couldn't join realm: Insufficient permissions to join the
> domain
>
> # host -t SRV dc01.test.local
>
> # nslookup 10.0.0.10
> ** server can't find 10.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN

You appear to be using the wrong dns server.

Rowland