[Samba] Winbind and GPO access restrictions?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 1 19:50:46 UTC 2021

On 10/1/21 13:43, Robert Marcano via samba wrote:
> On 10/1/21 2:21 PM, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:

>>> With winbind alone you will not be able to do that, you will need to
>>> use classic Linux mechanism to control login (pam files editing for
>>> example) and maybe automate the deployment on all machines by other
>>> means (Ansible, Puppet, etc)
>>>
>>> Samba doesn't apply any GPO rules to Linux hosts. It is a sssd
>>> feature to apply login restriction policies if enabled (and only a
>>> few of them that make sense to Linux hosts)
>>>

>> Oh wow. So I guess winbind can not do everything sssd does, and I'm
>> guessing that using idmap_sss doesn't help with this issue, either.
>>
>> Looks like I'm back to using RFC 2307 mapping and doing what Rowland
>> said not to do: just matching the UIDs/GIDs on the linux systems. But
>> that's headache equivalent to using Ansible to copy around modified
>> PAM configuration files and solves the other problem I have of at
>> least one linux machine that needs file access being behind someone
>> else's AD domain.
>>
>> Now I'm mystified at how people are using newer versions of Samba in a
>> mixed Windows/Linux environment. If your linux workstations (i.e. not
>> fileservers) are bound to the domain, you most certainly want them to
>> be using domain authentication restrictions and not some ad hoc thing
>> you have to cobble together and deploy with CMS every time the
>> directory changes. I guess this is the problem that RHEL idM solves by
>> foresting with a Samba DC; no idea; I have no experience with this
>> whatsoever.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, is anyone out there using full blown sssd with a
>> Samba version > 4.8?  Is that even a thing?
>
> The semi official stance of the list is that SSSD isn't supported. But
> my real world usage tell that a Samba member file server, with active
> shares published and ACLs and everything else for it, works, I am not
> sure if a Samba usage more complex than that doesn´t work, but for my
> use case, works.
>
> CentOS 8 provided packages:
>
> sssd-2.4.0-9.el8_4.2
> samba-4.13.3-4.el8_4
>
> The magic is that Samba requires winbind, you should run winbind, but
> that doen't means that /etc/nsswitch.conf must include winbind, mine
> doesn't. it only include sssd. Winbind id mapping is configured to match
> SSSD id mapping for AD domains. Winbind and SSSD use of
> /etc/nsswitch.conf to map user and group names to and from ids.

Brilliant. I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of this.

> SSSD can use more nsswitch tables like sudoers but groups and users are
> the main conflict between winbind and sssd on nsswitch.conf
>
> Another tip is to use ad_maximum_machine_account_password_age = 0 on
> sssd.conf, probably doesn't needed anymore, latest SSSD has a new
> setting to sync passwords changes with the local Samba instance, but
> that wasn't on the SSSD packages for RHEL/CentOS 8 at the time I setup
> everything.

But if you're using

    idmap config SAMDOM : backend = sss

then Windbind isn't keeping a local database?

> I will write a little howto in the future, now that there was some
> discussions about SSSD on the list, but for know I am too busy with some
> changes on my country at work (currency exchange switch caused bt high
> inflation, yea yea Venezuela :P). Maybe ping me in a few weeks if I
> haven´t published anything.

Oh goodness. Hang in there; it sounds awful.  My great-grandfather kept
a scrap book of German currency during the 1920's inflation spiral. The
last banknote in his book was a one million DM note that had been
stamped over with one billion because it wasn't worth the paper to
reprint them from scratch.