[Samba] Can I join a new sanba 4.15 to a samba 4.3.4 domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 29 17:40:05 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-11-29 at 13:23 +0100, Mueller via samba wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> We have an samba (AD) domain running (4.3.4) . Now the host has some
> failures and should be replaced.
> Can I join a new host with samba 4.14 or 4.15 to the old domain as DC
> and
> transfer roles/users/machines , demote the old one?

Maybe.  It depends how large the domain is, because our replication
engine is stricter in Samba 4.5 and above and doesn't cope with the
bugs in Samba 4.4.

Otherwise, you can upgrade in-place and then transfer, eg with a source
install temporarily, but that might have trouble building on the old
host, or copying the files to a new host but then you have to ensure
you use the smb.conf to name the host the same as the original.

Essentially, here be dragons.

Sorry!

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions