[Samba] Point and Print Nightmare ? Samba4 ? or a simple driver issue ?

Olivier BILHAUT obilhaut at fondation-misericorde.fr
Mon Nov 29 13:17:22 UTC 2021

Hi friends,

I jump on the PrintNightmare topic because we still
encounter an issue with SHARP PCL6 print driver.

We've kindly followed
all the recommandations about the 3 GPOs. We've updated to Samba 4.15.2
and Windows to 21H2.

But no way, when the driver is downloaded by the
client, at the "Installing driver" step, the following error raise :

"A POLICY IS IN EFFECT ON YOUR COMPUTER WHICH PREVENTS YOU FROM
CONNECTING TO THIS PRINTER QUEUE"

With the driver we use (we tried
many differents versions), it occurs only on Samba4 print server (tried
with a Windows 2012 - ok), and only with the SHARP driver

In fact,
with others drivers brands, for instance Kyocera, point and print works
perfectly. Driver is downloaded and printer successfully installed. So
my guess is that Point and print is not the cause. BUT the message above
tells about a policy, and furthermore it probably appeared after a bunch
Windows updated. That's confusing.

Does anybody already encountered
and solved this ?

Thanks !