[Samba] shares and files all have uid=0, gid=0 when connecting with vers2.0 and above

Andrew J. Davis andrew.j.davis at eastlink.ca
Thu Nov 25 02:13:13 UTC 2021

On a Pi with an installation with buster so samba 4.9.5, there is a folder:

drwxrws--- 2 andrew family 4096 Nov 24 21:21 SharedRW

inside there are two files:

-rwxr--r-- 1 andrew family 0 Nov 23 19:51 andrew
-rwxr--r-- 1 minako family 1 Nov 24 21:05 minako

On the Pi [and all Pi], both users are a member of family

Locally: andrew can read file minako but cannot update it -- this is as
expected

the folder is shared using samba to the network:
[Shared]
   comment       = Shared
   path          = /media/HDD-Red/SharedRW
   browseable    = yes
   read only     = no
   write list    = @family
   guest ok      = yes
   create mode   = 0770
   directory mode        = 0770
   vfs objects   = dirsort

from a Windows computer, andrew can read file minako but cannot update
it -- this is as expected

from a linux Pi connecting with vers=1.0; andrew can read file minako
but cannot update it -- this is as expected

from a linux Pi connecting without vers=1.0; no one has permission to
update anything and all files show as root root, i.e. uid=0, gid=0

from a linux Pi connecting with uid=andrew,gid=family; andrew can read
and update file minako -- this is as wrong

Pi-bullseye [samba 4.13.13 cannot use vers=1.0, with good reason, but I
want to be able to access the files on the shares correctly and I do not
know how,

I would very much appreciate some assistance
Thank you,
Andrew