[Samba] icacls 'DENY' and Unix user execute bit

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 22 17:12:09 UTC 2021

On 11/20/21 11:36, Ken Bass via samba wrote:
> I don't think that is going to work since I cannot control that the
> Linux application is messing with permissions. When files are created
> under Linux, the execute bit is typically not set.
> So to support an application that can run on Windows and on Linux
> against the same share I need a solution that will work.

Do you have a default umask set which is removing the "x" permission
under linux?  Normally, it should not happen that the x permissions are
modified when you edit a file unless your umask is something strange
like 0467.

But this definitively settles for me whether or not it's a good idea to
CIFS mount Samba shares to a linux system: if it can't handle POSIX
ACL's, game over.

As someone else mentioned, the standard way to mount filesystems linux
to linux is NFS, preferably NFSv4. But you can also use ssh-fuse, which
will tunnel the whole thing through ssh.