[Samba] Microsoft's ADMX templates install message -- anything to worry about?

David Mulder dmulder at samba.org
Mon Nov 22 13:53:48 UTC 2021

On 11/20/21 3:07 PM, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
> I don't recall seeing this message the last time I installed the Windows
> ADMX templates, which probably just means I forgot, but just in case:
>
> root at samba-dc:~# samba-tool gpo admxload -U Administrator
> --admx-dir=./Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Group\ Policy/Windows\ 10\
> October\ 2020\ Update\ \(20H2\)/PolicyDefinitions/
> Password for [EA\Administrator]:
> Installing ADMX templates to the Central Store prevents Windows from
> displaying its own templates in the Group Policy Management Console. You
> will need to install these templates from
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/102157 to continue using
> Windows Administrative Templates.
>

> Since I downloaded these ADMX templates from
>
>    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/102157
>
> I find this message a tad confusing.

Sorry that the message is confusing. The message was added to remind
users to do exactly what you are doing. If you run that command without
--admx-dir, it installs the default samba admx files, which causes RSAT
to only use the admx files on the SYSVOL, ignoring local templates. At
this point, the Windows Administrative templates disappear from RSAT.
I suppose I could try to disable that message when you're installing the
Windows templates.

--
*David Mulder*
Labs Software Engineer, Samba