[Samba] icacls 'DENY' and Unix user execute bit

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Sun Nov 21 19:13:43 UTC 2021

> If you are mounting a share using mount.cifs, then you are not using
> Samba. If the mount is changing the permissions, you need to read 'man
> mount.cifs'. If another program is changing the permissions, then you
> need to ask that programs developers, just why it does this.
>
> Rowland

So how does one access a share under Linux without using CIFS? Am I
missing something? Is there some other method?

As far as why a Linux program would change permissions, that is
simple... If under Linux, a file is deleted and recreated (for example
writing a file on exit), the created file is not going to get execution
permission, despite a users umask.