[Samba] icacls 'DENY' and Unix user execute bit

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Nov 19 22:18:57 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-11-19 at 16:44 -0500, Ken Bass via samba wrote:
> I am in some unfamiliar territory here and trying to troubleshoot why
> am getting access denied. Maybe someone can provide some pointers or
> suggestions.
>
> I am sharing via a samba share.
>
> If the file is created on Windows, I see the following:
>
> icacls test.txt
>
> test.txt Everyone:
>           MYDOM\user:(I)(F)
>           MYDOM\Group:(I)(F)
>
> Under Linux the file permissions show as:
> '-rwxrw----'

Is that exactly what 'ls 'la' produces ? Could there be a '+' on the
end ?
As show, the user would have full permissions and the group would have
read and write permissions, all others would have no permissions.

Depending on how you have set up Samba, you may be using extended ACL's
and attrs, but without further info, this is hard to say.

Could you post the output from 'testparm -s' from the Samba server and
the full output of 'ls -la test.txt'

Rowland