[Samba] Installing software via GPO

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Mon Nov 15 17:10:19 UTC 2021

On 11/15/21 12:00 PM, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
> Hi list -
>
> I experimented with getting software to install on W10 clients using a
> GPO, and could not get it to work.  Has anyone used this feature?  Is it
> even supposed to work under Samba?  The instructions I cobbled together
> from some googling below.  Things like accessibility to the share/etc.
> already tested.
>

> -=- Automatically Deploy Software
>
>   - Create a share folder accessible by everyone in which to place .msi
> files

Be aware of the share not being guest ok. Since a recent Windows update,
guest connections to shares isn't allowed. My updates stopped working
and this was the reason. Add a proper ACL entry to the share for
authenticated users, at installation the connection to the share is done
by the computer accounts, so you could restrict the share more if you
need it.