[Samba] Installing software via GPO

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 15 16:00:58 UTC 2021

Hi list -

I experimented with getting software to install on W10 clients using a
GPO, and could not get it to work.  Has anyone used this feature?  Is it
even supposed to work under Samba?  The instructions I cobbled together
from some googling below.  Things like accessibility to the share/etc.
already tested.

-=- Automatically Deploy Software

  - Create a share folder accessible by everyone in which to place .msi
files
  - Create a Security Group for the computers which are to get this
install/update
      - Change the Object Type to allow for computer objects
      - Add computers to this group.

   - GPO
   Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Software Settings -> Software
         Installation
   Right click, New -> Package
   - Add UNC path to package folder and select package to install.
   Remove "Authenticated Users" from Security Filter and add the group
created above.