[Samba] samba4repo working for samba-4.15.1 and RHEL 7 and 8 and Fedora 34

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 20:48:29 UTC 2021

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 4:06 PM Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2021-11-11 at 11:59 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia via samba wrote:
> > Good morning:
> >
> > I had some time between roles, and spent it backporting sama-4.15.1
> > my https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/ . The current Fedora rawhide
> > builds rely on the experimental MIT kerberos, rather than the Heimdal
> > kerberos, and present compatibility issues for RHEL 7 and its forks.
> >
> > Is Samba close enough to fully compatible with current Kerberos
> > releases? Can we reasonably rely on the current Fedora published
> > releases of Samba, which rely on this for full domain controller
> > features?
>
> Sadly no.  The MIT KDC is still experimental, meaning that for example
> the security fixes we just shipped did not include the MIT KDC.
>
> The MIT KDC also doesn't support the Samba RODC.

Well, dang. I'll continue to provide Fedora compatible RPM building
tools with Heimdal Kerberos enabled.

> > And does anyone care enough about Amazon Linux 2 to justify the
> > compatibility work needed to make Samba available there? I know there
> > have been some attempts, and the python module stack gets a bit
> > awkward because Amazon chose to use python 3.7 rather than the python
> > 3.6 buiil into EPEL and recompiling all the python modules gets hairy.
>
> Yeah, this is a real pain.  I really wish they had not done that.
>
> However, it is still of interest to me, so while I can't ask you to do
> work towards that, it would be great if we didn't move backwards here.

I'm between jobs right now, so I've looked at Amazon Linux 2
compatibility as a short term hobby. Sadly, some of the necessary EPEL
SRPM's do not compile under Amazon Linux 2, dang it, especially the
pyroute2 related weirdnesses.