[Samba] dhcp-dyndns.sh creates no PTR entry

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Nov 12 10:48:39 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-11-12 at 10:17 +0100, Ingo Asche via samba wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> with the change in the failover DHCP configuration all works well
> now,
> I've get only only one DNS entry in the forward lookup zone.
>
> But I just realized that there is no creating of an entry in the
> reverse
> lookup zone.
>
> I might found the problem: I also have a reverse lookup zone for my
> IPv6
> segment and this zone is found first, don't matches the IP address
> given
> and so no PTR entry will be created.

I do not use IPv6, it is one of the first things I turn off. I cannot
understand why anyone would use it on an internal network, it is
unlikely that 340 trillion trillion trillion IP addresses would be
needed.

When the script runs, it produces lines like these in /var/log/syslog

dhcpd[641]: execute_statement argv[0] = /usr/local/bin/dhcp-dyndns.sh
dhcpd[641]: execute_statement argv[1] = add
rpidc2 dhcpd[641]: execute_statement argv[2] = 192.168.0.147
rpidc2 dhcpd[641]: execute_statement argv[3] = dc:a6:32:dd:66:10
rpidc2 dhcpd[641]: execute_statement argv[4] = rpi400

If you can find similar lines in your /var/log/sysvol that refer to
IPv4 and IPv6 for the same hostname, I should be able to fix this.

Rowland