[Samba] Read Only files, Extended Attributes and Microsoft Office Documents

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 11 12:49:03 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-11-11 at 12:24 +0000, Paul Littlefield via samba wrote:
> Hello Samba gurus,
>
> Hope you can help.
>
> A server that has been fine for years, is now causing a small
> problem.
>
> Staff cannot open a Microsoft Word or Excel file to re-edit it if
> someone else has created it.
>
> This WAS possible and was working fine before a recent Ubuntu server
> update.
>
> The error shown in Word or Excel is 'file compatibility mode -
> opening as read only'.
>
> To debug this, they created a test folder and saved both a simple
> text file and a Word document in the folder.
>
> If they go to another computer and edit the text file it works with
> no problem.
>
> If they go to another computer and edit the Word document, it does
> not work as before.
>
> Here is the output of 'testparm -s' from Samba version 4.3.11-Ubuntu

Samba 4.3.11 is dead as far as Samba is concerned, I suggest you
upgrade, if you do have a problem, you have no chance of getting it
fixed in that version and it may have been fixed in a later version.

> [global]
> 	workgroup = SANITISED
> 	server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
> 	server role = standalone server
> 	map to guest = Bad User
> 	obey pam restrictions = Yes
> 	passdb backend = smbpasswd
> 	pam password change = Yes
> 	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> 	username map = /etc/samba/username_map.txt
> 	unix password sync = Yes
> 	syslog = 0
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> 	max log size = 1000
> 	load printers = No
> 	domain master = No
> 	dns proxy = No
> 	usershare allow guests = Yes
> 	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
> 	idmap config * : backend = tdb
> 	printing = bsd
>
> [homes]
> 	comment = Home Directories
> 	read only = No
> 	browseable = No
>
> [shared]
> 	comment = Shared file space
> 	path = /home/samba/shared
> 	force group = users
> 	group = users
> 	read only = No
> 	create mode = 0664
> 	force create mode = 0664
> 	directory mode = 0775
> 	force directory mode = 0775
> 	inherit permissions = Yes
> 	guest ok = Yes
>

> Here is the directory listing as seen from the Linux shell ...
>
> drwxrwxr-x   2  jbloggs   users 4.0K 2021-11-10 17:41 Penguin    <--
> folder permissions
>
> -rwxrwxr--+  1  jsmith    users  22K 2021-11-10 17:40 Hello hello
> hello.doc
> -rw-rw-r--   1  jbloggs   users   29 2021-11-10 17:39 Test 2.txt
>

> I spotted a + symbol at the end of the Word document and some other
> files on the server.

That '+' shows that extended ACL's exist, you can see these with
'getfacl'

> Desktops are all on Windows 10 Professional and fully patched.

Are they members of a domain ? If so, why are you running Samba as a
standalone server ?

Rowland