[Samba] permissions, and maybe a violation of the least surprise principle

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 10 15:54:50 UTC 2021

On 11/9/21 12:44, Nick Couchman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 12:49 PM Patrick Goetz via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:
>
>     OK, I think I'm starting to absorb the idiomatic usage of
>     permissions in
>     Windows. The group always just defaults to Domain Users and then you
>     control access through filesystem permissions.
>
>     However, (see below)
>
>     On 11/8/21 16:50, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
>      > I'll add my view on it.
>      >
>      > Windows can only hold 1 primary group for a user, which is by
>     "Domain Users".
>      > So,yes, every file holds the "domain users" by default. Lets say
>     GID 10000 is assigned.
>      >
>      > By example.
>      > We have 2 users, bugger and bogger.
>      > Bugger is member of "domain users" (GID 10000) and SomeUseless
>     group. (GID 10001)
>      > Bogger is member of "domain users" (GID 10000) and Staff group.
>     (GID 10002)
>      >
>      >  From a windows machine, default rights are set as you see in you
>     output.
>      > Which is all correct as far is see.
>      >
>      > Now, let remove the windows thoughts and just use POSIX.
>      > You change the default group in windows for both users to its
>     group with GID.
>      >
>      > Bogger places a file in the SomeUseless group, so bugger can open it.
>      > But the file owner now is bogger:staff, bugger isnt a member,
>      > so to bad he cant open/change it, even if its in the right folder.
>      >
>      > This is why, i use in a  "linux with mixed windows" rights setup
>     the windows defaults
>      >
>      > So, all "file rights" are "domain users" as group and every
>     member kan open/change it.
>      > The fixes the above rights problem.
>      >
>      > On the "folder part".
>      > The acl is obeyed from windows and linux users cant enter it.
>      > You use a group as security group to allow access only.
>      >
>      > Only one important part, or you need to change rights later on.
>      > Set the UID/GIDS first thing in the objectes, before you create
>     folders, or the GID doesnt show/is set.
>      > Still need to look better into that, only so little time currently.
>      >
>      > Use from windows to posix are key "Creator Owner" and "Creator
>     Group" (mainly creator group)
>      >
>      > Windows               : Posix
>      > ( Creator owner ) : 1770 (through sticky bit) ( normaly chmod 4770)
>      > ( creator group ) : chmod 2770
>      > ( creator owner and group ) : chmod 3770
>      >
>      > https://chmodcommand.com/ <https://chmodcommand.com/> has a nice
> [...]

Thanks, Nick.  That was a spot on and fantastically helpful explanation.

@Rowland: I did read the smb.conf man page but for some reason my
primitive hominid brain didn't encode that Samba is also ANDing against
the highest order octal value (setuid setgid sticky bit). Not sure why,
the digit is right there in all the examples.

It's far better to feel stupid than to be confused. I offer that as the
quote of the day. <:)