[Samba] How do users access shares?

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Tue Nov 9 01:02:37 UTC 2021

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021, 7:02 PM Rob Campbell <robcampbell08105 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Robert.  I have tried that but it requires root or sudo.  OR chmod
> u+s /bin/mount /bin/umount /usr/sbin/mount.cifs.  But then it requires I
> put it in /etc/fstab.  If I do that, it will mount for all users, right?
> That's not what I want.

If you want users to be able to mount a share, specially if you want the
target directory to be private to each user, you probably will need to
check how desktop environments do it for their file managers. I can only
talk about GNOME that it is what I use every day.

When you use a file manager like GNOME Files (Nautilus) to access a smb
share with a the smb URL scheme (smb://hostname/share), it mounts a FUSE
filesystem (file system in userspace) that access the share via a process
that uses Samba client libraries.

Maybe you could use gnome-mount or the newer "gio mount", or you can use
desktop agnostic FUSE filesystems like smbnetfs or fusesmb.